Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm Not Going to be Octomom - and Other Surrogacy Myths Busted

1) We will be transferring one embryo.  I'm not going to be Octomom.  In fact, the chance of me finding myself pregnant with twins or higher order multiples is exactly the same as it would be with any other pregnancy (really small).

2) It's not going to be hard for me to "give up" the baby...because it's not my baby! This baby will not be genetically related to me in any way, shape or form.  M & C have selected an egg donor from their clinic's frozen egg donor program.  The egg will be fertilized with "genetic material" from M or C.  The resulting embryo will be transferred into my uterus.  I will then, put simply, "baby-sit" for approx 9 months, until their precious bundle is ready to take on the world! Then M & C get daddy duty and I get to sleep for 8 hours a night, sounds good to me.

3) We will be planning a homebirth, just like we had with my youngest child.  Pregnancy and labor/delivery is not scary or dangerous.  In fact, it's a normal, healthy process, best left alone to proceed as naturally as possible.  I'm not putting myself or my family at risk, steps have been taken to ensure everyone's welfare should the pregnancy not go as perfectly as my other pregnancies have.

4) My husband and I have taken the time to explain gestational surrogacy to our children - even warning them what others may think (see #2) and they completely understand and think it's great, they adore M & C and are so excited for them! My children will not be confused

5) Many kids are raised in non-traditional families and they turn out just fine and some kids are raised in traditional families and turn out not-so-fine.  The point is - whether a child is raised by a mom and a dad, two moms, two dads, a grandma, a uncle, a parent and step-parent, etc has little to do with anything. This baby will not be "damaged" by being raised by two dads.  The most important things that a child needs are love and family - this lucky little one will have plenty of both!

1 comment: