Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ramblings of a Surrogate

The most common question I get from those who don't understand surrogacy is "but isn't it going to be hard for you to give up the baby?" I always answer simply "no, it's not, because it's not my baby."

Confession: I don't often think about being pregnant.  This is a complete 180 from my own pregnancies where I walked around giddy with excitement, constantly planning, from the moment the pregnancy test showed 2 lines.  I'm not looking at what stage of development the baby is in each week.  I'm not picking out baby names, researching baby gear or preparing my children for a sibling.  I'm not calculating how many years the new baby will be behind his/her youngest sibling in school and if they'll share any high school years together.  I'm not planning how to best set up the mini crib next to our bed, who the baby will eventually room with or which spot is best for baby's car seat in the car. 

These things don't make me happy or sad, they are just facts.  They are WHY it's not going to be hard for me to "give up the baby", because it's NOT my baby, it never has been, it was never intended to be! I'm not planning for and dreaming about having a new little one around...M & C are!

I do LOVE hearing how M & C are preparing for their new little one, their excitement and the newness of everything to them.  Sometimes they tell me things that make me silently chuckle, the naiveté of first time parents, having been there myself...oh some of the silly things I did! Sometimes I offer advice, maybe I can save them some of the trial and error, but in the end I know that this is THEIR journey, THEIR baby story, and finding their own way will make them more confident parents.  And they are going to be amazing.

P.S. Gender scan is scheduled for June 29th! Any guesses?

2 comments:

  1. We are good friends of M & C. Thank you for doing this. They are going to make GREAT parents!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure they will be awesome!

      Delete