Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Looking Ahead While Reflecting Back

Today, my oldest daughter is celebrating her 12th birthday, and I am reflecting back on 12 years of being a parent.  I won't say that it has always been easy, but it has always been worth it - I would pour the blood, sweat and tears out over each of my four children a million times over if it meant I could still be their mommy.  Going through the journey that I am on now, I can't help but reflect back on the past 12 years and think about M & C, and the journey that they are just starting to embark on. 

To some, surrogacy is nothing more than a business deal.  For whatever reason, the Intended Parents and/or the surrogate don't desire to build a relationship with one another.  Often their respective locations are an issue, sometimes there is a language barrier, some intended parents just want their baby and that's it...whatever the reason, it happens. 

Obviously, first and foremost, this is about helping M & C become parents.  But for me, I wanted to find Intended Parents that were local - not only so we could more easily build a relationship, but also because I want to be able to see the look on their faces when they hear their child's heartbeat for the first time, when they see their child's karate moves on the ultrasound, when their child takes his or her first breath of life.  I am almost giddy with excitment, waiting for the moment when M & C get to hold their little bundle of joy in their arms and feel for their child what I feel for my children.   If you're a parent, you know what I mean.  It's going to be incredible - there is no greater love.  I also hope to hear all about their child's first steps, first successful potty trip, first day of kindergarten, and all the other "firsts" that I have experienced with my own children throughout the years.

That will all come in time - but for today, happy birthday to my own "little bundle of joy"...even if she isn't so little anymore! And to M & C - sleep while you can my friends, sleep while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment