Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sonohysterogram & Mock Transfer

Today was my sonohysterogram.   I'm not going to lie - I was nervous about it, primarily because Dr. Google was leading me to believe it was everything from a walk in the park to worse than childbirth.  I didn't have this particular procedure done with my previous surrogacy journey and my Google search wasn't exactly reassuring so yes, I drove to the clinic a complete ball of nerves.  I park my car, walk to the office, open to the door and who do I see? M & C! I was not expecting them to be there at all, they live 30 minutes away and there was nothing needed from them at this appointment but they came, and I'm so glad they did because after about 2 minutes - I wasn't nervous anymore! They had a song and dance about being out running errands but I'm not buying it, they just came because they're awesome (I'm on to you guys)!

Before he did the sonohysterogram, Dr. L did a mock transfer.  During the mock transfer he inserted the same type of catheter into my uterus that he'll use for the embryo transfer - to determine the depth of the uterus and the best way to insert the catheter to get the embryo where it needs to be to give it the best chance to implant.  It went off without a hitch - Dr. L said it was easy and we agreed that easy is good! The sonohysterogram was actually pretty cool, I thought it was neat to watch it on the ultrasound.  I could see him insert the smaller catheter and release the saline into the uterus.  This causes the uterus to "blow up", sort of like a balloon, so Dr. L can better visualize the inside of the uterus and evaluate for polyps or fibroids that could interfere with implantation.  Everything looked normal so we're good to go.  And for the record, whoever said it was worse than childbirth must have had the epidural because it was a lot closer to a walk in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment