Sunday, July 15, 2012

Putting It Out There In The Universe: Finding M & C

Fresh off a failed transfer, in April 2012, I knew I wanted to find a new set of Intended Parents (IPs) to work with but I also knew that my "perfect match" would be hard to find - and, as much as I wanted to do a surrogacy journey, I wasn't willing to compromise on my morals.  I would not want to abort or selectively reduce, unless my life were at risk, and I strongly preferred a single embryo transfer to reduce the risk of multiples, and increase the chance of being able to birth at home.  I knew it would be hard to find IPs who were looking for the same things.

On May 6th, I posted an ad on surromomsonline.com - detailing myself and what I was looking for in IPs.  Over the next 30 days, I received a dozen replies.  Some obvious scams, some heartbreaking stories, some couples from far away...but none exactly what I was looking for.  I remember telling my husband one night, when I had almost convinced myself that my "perfect match" didn't exist, that I would love to find a local couple, someone who I could help become parents (i.e. have their first child)...and I thought it would be kind of cool to help a gay couple.

Lesson Number One: Put it out there in the universe and see what happens.

On May 31st, I received an email from M.  He and his partner, C, were looking for the right gestational carrier to help them become parents.  After several emails back and forth, it was obvious that we clicked but M & C were heading out of town on vacation and then, almost immediately upon their return, my family and I were heading out of town on vacation.  Finally, we were able to meet in person, on July 7th, over lunch.  We talked and laughed, and my husband and I felt instantly comfortable with them. 

M & C are sweet, funny, down to earth and - most importantly - they are going to be amazing daddies.  It is an honor to be chosen to help them in their journey to parenthood, to be entrusted with their most precious treasure - their future child.  I can't wait to see the adventure that awaits us!

No comments:

Post a Comment