Sunday, July 15, 2012

When One Door Closes, Another One Opens

I can't blog my journey with M & C without first mentioning my journey with my beautiful friend J and her husband L, as they were my first foray into surrogacy and my present journey never would have come to be without them.

J & L are parents of a son, the old fashioned way, and twin girls, through a gestational surrogate. It was J who introduced me to the world of surrogacy, back when I was still pregnant with my youngest child. It was J who videoed the home waterbirth of said child. It was J that I was friends with for 3 years before we traveled together to California for the transfer of their one frozen embryo, their only hope of a 4th child, into me. And it was J that I delivered the devastating news to, 2 weeks later, that that transfer had resulted in a chemical pregnancy.

For J & L, their surrogacy journey had ended. They decided that a 4th child was not meant to be, that their family was complete with three beautiful children and they were excitedly looking forward to where their life was going to go from there.

For me, my journey through surrogacy was just beginning. My time in the lives of J & L had lit a fire in my soul. I knew I had the power to make the dreams of a couple who desperately wanted a child to come true - to grow their baby for them from the first cells of life and to hand their baby to them with the knowledge that that child will come to be their greatest accomplishment in life.  That is what I wanted to do, that is what I was meant to do.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I'm so happy for you Shar! I'm proud to call you my sister and feel blessed to have the opportunity to bear witness to, even though it's from afar, these beautiful journeys. Here's to M & C's greatest accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete